The deficit is killing our economy.
The national debt is 19 trillion dollars: US Debt Clock
Servicing the debt on the monstrous deficit is draining us dry.
We will simply have to stop spending so much. These are the tough items I would support in order to get the United States out of debt in our lifetimes:
- Stop spending our money and our lives on defense of rich countries all over the world. Germany, Japan, Korea and others do not need this. They can afford to pay for their own defense. We are spread too thin all over the world and have military bases in nearly every country. Bring the troops home and let's defend our own borders for a change.
- End foreign aid. Again, we can't afford our own debt. Why should we go into debt giving away things to other countries. Keeping them on welfare of state keeps them dependent on us. Teach them to be self sufficient.
- End the Department of Education. We spend 4 times more federally on education than we spent 12 years ago, and we have gotten no increase in education quality. Education is a state and local issue. Let the people keep their own money and chose how best to educate their own children.
- End the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Federal housing projects are a disaster. Again, state, local and private systems fare better than federal meddling.
- End the War on Drugs. This is a complete disaster and has failed to control any drug use. Instead it brings the same violence that alcohol prohibition brought us in the 1930s. This would save 41.4 billion dollars, and if taxed at the same rate as alcohol and tobacco would yield nearly $46.7 billion in tax revenues.
- End Farm Subsidies. In a free market economy, the market will choose what and how much food to grow. Paying someone to not grow a certain type of food is wasteful, immoral and disrupts the free market. Why should we spend our tax money in order to increase the cost of food and distort the economy.
- End the Department of Energy. This department was created in the 1970s in order to make the country less dependent on foreign oil. We all should know by now how well this has worked.
- End the Union Wage Rule (Davis-Bacon). This would save our country 11.4 billion dollars.
- Reform Social Security, with younger people allowed to save and direct the investment of their own money.